Next to the Cathedral is the Glasgow Necropolis. The shear size holds the visitor in captive reverence, a tribute to the disposable wealth available – at least to some- and well worth the walk. An intriguing and oddly welcoming place where one can only appreciate the architectural splendor, size and wealth of the grounds. It is interesting to note that the Necropolis was built with one easily guarded entry to protect the bodies within from the body-snatchers or “resurrectionists” who, in the early 1800s, stole freshly buried corpses to sell to medical schools.
“Just to the east of Glasgow Cathedral, beyond the course of the (now culverted) Molindinar Burn stands a rocky hill. In 1651 this was purchased by Glasgow’sMerchants’ House (a powerful grouping of the city’s merchants) and, after being planted with fir trees, became known as Fir Park. In 1831 the Merchants’ House agreed that the land would be more profitably used as Glasgow’s version of the world-famous Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. Fir Park therefore became the Glasgow Necropolis.
Over the years since then, some 50,000 people have been buried at the Necropolis, in around 3,500 tombs that extend anything up to 14 feet below the ground and which, on the rocky upper parts of the Necropolis, had to be excavated with the aid of blasting powder.”
~ the above information was cited from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Necropolis